Friday, October 14, 2011

Why Blankets?.... My Story

I've been thinking about the different mitzvah (good deed) projects I can take on in honor of my upcoming bat mitzvah. And as you all know, I lost one of the most important people in my life- my amazing, incredible Dad- last year to cancer. So it's only natural that I'd like to do something to directly help cancer patients.

And then it hit me.... everyone in my family has had (or still has) a special blankie in their life. Wouldn't it be great it I could make fun, cozy, fabulous blankets to give to cancer patients to use during their chemotherapy treatments or anywhere really. I remember making no-sew fleece blankets as a girl scout. It was fun and easy to do. 

Now, most of you know that my mom is really cool... she has a blog about cancer resources called CancerHAWK.com and she "tweets" (I don't know any other mom who tweets, do you?) While on twitter, my mom found out about an amazing organization called "Layers of Love" and they take the blankets that were made by volunteers and distribute them to cancer patients all over the country.

So, to make a long story short, here's what I'm proposing....
I would like to host several "Get Cozy During Chemo" Parties where anyone can help me make no-sew fleece blankets. Some blankets will be sent to Layers of Love to distribute, and others I will donate directly to local patients here in Maryland.  

My goal is to make 180 "no-sew" fleece blankets for cancer patients.  Why 180?  Derivatives of the number 18 symbolize "life" & "good luck" in Judaism.  

1 comment:

  1. Via Layers of Love.

    THIS is just fantastic!!
    If there is anything you need please just let me know, I will help in anyway that I can.
    If you would like to take photographs of your parties we can do a blog post on our Layers of Love website and post to our facebook page also.
    You are an amazing girl, with a very big, generous heart. We are so grateful for what you are doing to benefit chemotherapy patients.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete